Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
World Health Organization: World Health Organization, International Diabetes Federation, editors. Definition and diagnosis of diabetes mellitus and intermediate hyperglycemia. Report of a WHO/IDF Consultation. Geneva (Switzerland): WHO Press; 2006.
- Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: S81-S90
World Health Organization. Use of glycated haemoglobin (HbA1c) in diagnosis of diabetes mellitus: abbreviated report of a WHO consultation. WHO Press; 2011.
- Standards of medical care in diabetes–2013.Diabetes Care. 2012; 36: S11-S66https://doi.org/10.2337/dc13-S011
- Type 1 diabetes.Lancet. 2013; 383: 69-82
- Latent autoimmune diabetes in adults.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009; 94: 4635-4644https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2009-1120
- Islet autoantigens: structure, function, localization, and regulation.Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med. 2012; 2 (pii:a007658)
- Islet-cell antibodies in diabetes mellitus with autoimmune polyendocrine deficiencies.Lancet. 1974; 2: 1279-1283
- Defining criteria for autoimmune diseases (Witebsky's postulates revisited).Immunol Today. 1993; 14: 426-430https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-5699(93)90244-F
- How does type 1 diabetes develop? The notion of homicide or β-cell suicide revisited.Diabetes. 2012; 60: 1370-1379
Maganti A, Evans-Molina C, Mirmira RG. From immunobiology to β-cell biology: the changing perspective on type 1 diabetes. Islets 2014;6(1):e28778-1–5. http://dx.doi.org/10.4161/isl.28778.
- HLA Class II genotyping of african american type 1 diabetic patients reveals associations unique to african haplotypes.Diabetes. 2013; 62: 3292-3299
- Use of class I and class II HLA loci for predicting age at onset of type 1 diabetes in multiple populations.Diabetologia. 2012; 55: 2394-2401https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-012-2608-z
- Expression of beta-cell autoimmunity does not differ between potential dizygotic twins and siblings of patients with type 1 diabetes.J Autoimmun. 2004; 23: 275-279https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaut.2004.07.001
- Genetics of type 1A (immune mediated) diabetes.J Autoimmun. 2003; https://doi.org/10.1016/S0896-8411(03)00097-0
- Concordance rates of insulin dependent diabetes mellitus: a population based study of young Danish twins.BMJ. 1995; 311: 913-917
- UK prospective diabetes study 16: overview of 6 years' therapy of type II diabetes: a progressive disease. U.K. Prospective Diabetes Study Group.Diabetes. 1995; 44: 1249-1258
- A comparison of childhood and adult type I diabetes mellitus.N Engl J Med. 1989; 320: 881-886
- Latent autoimmune diabetes in adults (LADA) should be less latent.Diabetologia. 2005; https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-005-1960-7
- β-cell function in relation to islet cell antibodies during the first 3 Yr after clinical diagnosis of diabetes in type ii diabetic patients.Diabetes Care. 1993; 16: 902-910https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.16.6.902
- UKPDS 25: autoantibodies to islet-cell cytoplasm and glutamic acid decarboxylase for prediction of insulin requirement in type 2 diabetes.Lancet. 1997; 350: 1288-1293https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(97)03062-6
- Clinical and genetic characteristics of type 2 diabetes with and without GAD antibodies.Diabetes. 1999; 48: 150-157https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.48.1.150
- Is type 2 diabetes a category error?.Lancet. 2013; 381: 1956-1957
- Associations of β-cell function and insulin resistance with youth-onset type 2 diabetes and prediabetes among Asian Indians.Diabetes Technol Ther. 2013; 15: 315-322https://doi.org/10.1089/dia.2012.0259
- Factors responsible for deteriorating glucose tolerance in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes in Japanese men.Metabolism. 2006; 55: 53-58https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2005.07.006
- β-cell deficit and increased β-Cell apoptosis in humans with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes. 2003; 52: 102-110https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.52.1.102
- Diabetes mellitus and genetically programmed defects in β-cell function.Nature. 2001; 414: 788-791https://doi.org/10.1038/414788a
- Role of glucotoxicity and lipotoxicity in the pathophysiology of Type 2 diabetes mellitus and emerging treatment strategies.Diabet Med. 2009; 26: 1185-1192
- Islet amyloid and type 2 diabetes mellitus.N Engl J Med. 2000; https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM200008103430607
- The natural history of progression from normal glucose tolerance to type 2 diabetes in the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging.Diabetes. 2003; 52: 1475-1484
- Maturity-onset diabetes of youth in black Americans.N Engl J Med. 1987; 316: 285-291
- Ketosis-prone type 2 diabetes in patients of Sub-Saharan African origin clinical pathophysiology and natural history of β-cell dysfunction and insulin resistance.Diabetes. 2004; 53: 645-653https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.53.3.645
- Narrative review: ketosis-prone type 2 diabetes mellitus.Ann Intern Med. 2006; 144: 350-357https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-144-5-200603070-00011
- Analysis and a long-term follow up of ketosis-onset Japanese NIDDM patients.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 1999; 44: 137-146https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-8227(99)00023-6
- Metabolic and immunologic features of Chinese patients with atypical diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Care. 2000; https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.23.3.335
- Hyperglycemia and Adverse Pregnancy Outcome (HAPO) Study Associations of maternal A1C and glucose with pregnancy outcomes.Diabetes. 2012; 35: 574-580
- International association of diabetes and pregnancy study groups recommendations on the diagnosis and classification of hyperglycemia in pregnancy.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 676-682
- ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 137. Gestational Diabetes Mellitus.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 122: 406-416
- Prevalence, characteristics and clinical diagnosis of maturity onset diabetes of the young due to mutations in HNF1A, HNF4A, and glucokinase: results from the SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013; https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2013-1279
- Neonatal diabetes: an expanding list of genes allows for improved diagnosis and treatment.Curr Diab Rep. 2011; https://doi.org/10.1007/s11892-011-0234-7
- Permanent neonatal diabetes mellitus: prevalence and genetic diagnosis in the SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study.Pediatr Diabetes. 2012; 14: 174-180https://doi.org/10.1111/pedi.12003
- Molecular mechanisms and clinical pathophysiology of maturity-onset diabetes of the young.N Engl J Med. 2001; https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmra002168
- Genetics and pathophysiology of neonatal diabetes mellitus.J Diabetes Investig. 2011; https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2040-1124.2011.00106.x
- Maturity-onset diabetes of the young (MODY): how many cases are we missing?.Diabetologia. 2010; 53: 2504-2508https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-010-1799-4
- Polygenic risk variants for type 2 diabetes susceptibility modify age at diagnosis in monogenic HNF1A diabetes.Diabetes. 2009; 59: 266-271https://doi.org/10.2337/db09-0555
- A genetic diagnosis of HNF1A diabetes alters treatment and improves glycaemic control in the majority of insulintreated patients.Diabet Med. 2009; 26: 437-441https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-5491.2009.02690.x
- Prevalence of vascular complications among patients with glucokinase mutations and prolonged, mild hyperglycemia.JAMA. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2013.283980
- Who should have genetic testing for maturity-onset diabetes of the young?.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2011; 75: 422-426
- Mitochondrial Diabetes Molecular Mechanisms and Clinical Presentation.Diabetes. 2004; 53: S103-S109https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.53.2007.S103
- Mitochondrial diabetes and its lessons for common Type 2 diabetes.Biochem Soc Trans. 2006; 34: 819https://doi.org/10.1042/BST0340819
- Identification of insulin secretory defects and insulin resistance during oral glucose tolerance test in a cohort of cystic fibrosis patients.Eur J Endocrinol. 2011; 165: 69-76
- New insights into cystic fibrosis-related diabetes in children.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2013; 1: 52-58
- Chronic pancreatitis.Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2014; 30: 500-505https://doi.org/10.1097/MOG.0000000000000094
- Secular trends of fibrocalculous pancreatic diabetes and diabetes secondary to alcoholic chronic pancreatitis at a Tertiary Care Diabetes Centre in South India.JOP. 2012; 13: 205-209https://doi.org/10.6092/1590-8577/608
- Guidelines for the prevention, management and care of diabetes mellitus.WHO Press, World Health Organization2006
- Effect of iron overload on glucose metabolism in patients with hereditary hemochromatosis.Metabolism. 2010; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2009.08.006
- High prevalence of abnormal glucose homeostasis secondary to decreased insulin secretion in individuals with hereditary haemochromatosis.Diabetologia. 2006; https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-006-0200-0
- Diabetes and the risk of pancreatic cancer.N Engl J Med. 1994; 331: 81-84
- New-onset diabetes: a potential clue to the early diagnosis of pancreatic cancer.Lancet Oncol. 2009; 10: 88-95https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(08)70337-1
- Pancreatic cancer is associated with impaired glucose metabolism.Eur J Surg. 1993; 159: 101-107
- Diabetes and pancreatic cancer.Minerva Gastroenterologica e Dietologica. 2014; : 1-22
- Systematic review of total pancreatectomy and islet autotransplantation for chronic pancreatitis.Br J Surg. 2012; 99: 761-766https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.8713
- New mechanisms of glucocorticoid-induced insulin resistance: make no bones about it.J Clin Invest. 2012; 122: 3854-3857
- Effects of antipsychotic medications on appetite, weight, and insulin resistance.Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2013; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecl.2013.05.006
- Atypical antipsychotic drugs and diabetes mellitus in the US Food and Drug Administration Adverse Event database: a systematic Bayesian signal detection analysis.Psychopharmacol Bull. 2009; 42: 11-31
- Screening for new-onset diabetes after kidney transplantation: limitations of fasting glucose and advantages of afternoon glucose and glycated hemoglobin.Transplantation. 2013; 96: 726-731
- Prevention and management of new-onset diabetes mellitus in kidney transplantation.Neth J Med. 2014; 72: 127-134
- Glucose metabolism in renal transplant recipients: effect of calcineurin inhibitor withdrawal and conversion to sirolimus.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2005; 16: 3128-3135https://doi.org/10.1681/ASN.2005050487
- HIV protease inhibitors acutely impair glucose-stimulated insulin release.Diabetes. 2003; 52: 1695-1700
- Incidence and risk factors for new-onset diabetes in HIV-infected patients the data collection on adverse events of anti-HIV drugs (D:A:D) Study.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 1224-1229https://doi.org/10.2337/dc07-2013
- Metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and cardiovascular risk in HIV.Curr HIV/AIDS Rep. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1007/s11904-014-0219-7
- Statins and the risk of diabetes: evidence from a large population-based cohort study.Diabetes. 2014; https://doi.org/10.2337/dc13-2215
- Understanding diabetes in patients with HIV/AIDS.Diabetol Metab Syndr. 2011; 3: 2
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS), National Center for Health Statistics. ICD-10-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting - 2014. US Department of Health and Human Services 2014.
World Health Organization. International statistical classification of diseases and related health problems. WHO Press; 2004.
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS), National Center for Health Statistics. ICD-9-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting - 2011. US Department of Health and Human Services 2011.
This work was partially supported by the Chicago Diabetes Research and Training Center P30 DK020595 .