Alzheimer's disease (AD) and other forms of dementia are estimated to affect millions worldwide. Because estimates of the incidence and prevalence of dementia are criteria dependent, the true number of people affected by dementia in the United States is unknown. Is it estimated that AD, the most common cause of dementia, accounts for nearly 70% of dementias [
]. There is still debate about the second and third most common forms of dementia. Recent neuropathologic studies have demonstrated that dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB) may be the second most common cause of dementia, accounting for 15% to 25% of dementia cases [
- Small G.W.
- Rabins P.V.
- Barry P.P.
- et al.
Diagnosis and treatment of Alzheimer disease and related disorders. Consensus statement of the American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry, the Alzheimer's Association, and the American Geriatrics Society.
JAMA. 1997; 278: 1363-1371
]. Other sources consider vascular/multi-infarct dementia (VaD) to be the second most common cause of dementia [
- McKeith I.G.
- Galasko D.
- Kosaka K.
- et al.
Consensus guidelines for the clinical and pathologic diagnosis of dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB): report of the Consortium on DLB International Workshop.
Neurology. 1996; 47: 1113-1124
- Costa P.
- Williams T.
- Summerfield M.
- et al.
Recognition and initial assessment of Alzheimer's disease and related dementias. US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Agency for Health Care Policy and Research, Rockville, MD1996
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Medical Clinics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diagnosis and treatment of Alzheimer disease and related disorders. Consensus statement of the American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry, the Alzheimer's Association, and the American Geriatrics Society.JAMA. 1997; 278: 1363-1371
- Consensus guidelines for the clinical and pathologic diagnosis of dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB): report of the Consortium on DLB International Workshop.Neurology. 1996; 47: 1113-1124
- Recognition and initial assessment of Alzheimer's disease and related dementias. US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Agency for Health Care Policy and Research, Rockville, MD1996 (AHCPR publication 97–0702)
- Estimated prevalence of Alzheimer's disease in the United States.Milbank Q. 1990; 68: 267-289
- The effects of donepezil in Alzheimer's disease—results from a multinational trial.Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 1999; 10: 237-244
- A randomized trial evaluating the efficacy and safety of ENA 713 (rivastigmine tartrate), a new acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, in patients with mild to moderately severe Alzheimer's disease.Int J Geriatr Psychopharmacol. 1998; 1: 55-65
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled multicenter study of tacrine for Alzheimer's disease. The Tacrine Collaborative Study Group.N Engl J Med. 1992; 327: 1253-1259
- A controlled trial of tacrine in Alzheimer's disease. The Tacrine Study Group.JAMA. 1992; 268: 2523-2529
- A 24-week, randomized, double-blind study of donepezil in moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease.Neurology. 2001; 57: 613-620
- A 30-week randomized controlled trial of high-dose tacrine in patients with Alzheimer's disease. The Tacrine Study Group.JAMA. 1994; 271: 985-991
- Galantamine in AD: a 6-month randomized, placebo-controlled trial with a 6-month extension. The Galantamine USA-1 Study Group.Neurology. 2000; 54: 2261-2268
- Donepezil improves cognition and global function in Alzheimer disease: a 15-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Donepezil Study Group.Arch Intern Med. 1998; 158: 1021-1031
- A 24-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of donepezil in patients with Alzheimer's disease. Donepezil Study Group.Neurology. 1998; 50: 136-145
- Efficacy and safety of rivastigmine in patients with Alzheimer's disease: international randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 1999; 318: 633-638
- A 5-month randomized placebo-controlled trial of galantamine in AD. The Galantamine USA-10 Study Group.Neurology. 2000; 54: 2269-2276
- Efficacy and safety of galantamine in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease: multicentre randomised controlled trial. Galantamine International-1 Study Group.BMJ. 2000; 321: 1445-1449
- A controlled trial of selegiline, alpha-tocopherol, or both as treatment for Alzheimer's disease. The Alzheimer's Disease Cooperative Study.N Engl J Med. 1997; 336: 1216-1222
- Aging, Alzheimer's disease, and the cholinergic system of the basal forebrain.Neurology. 1984; 34: 741-745
- A cholinergic connection between normal aging and senile dementia in the human hippocampus.Neurosci Lett. 1977; 6: 85-89
- Neurochemical characteristics of early and late onset types of Alzheimer's disease.BMJ. 1984; 288: 961-964
- Alzheimer's disease and senile dementia: loss of neurons in the basal forebrain.Science. 1982; 215: 1237-1239
- Selective loss of central cholinergic neurons in Alzheimer's disease.Lancet. 1976; 2: 1403
- Neurotransmitter changes in early- and late-onset Alzheimer-type dementia.Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 1992; 16: 883-890
- Neocortical morphometry, lesion counts, and choline acetyltransferase levels in the age spectrum of Alzheimer's disease.Neurology. 1988; 38: 48-54
- Nicotinic receptor abnormalities in Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1987; 50: 806-809
- Nicotinic acetylcholine binding sites in Alzheimer's disease.Brain Res. 1986; 371: 146-151
- Alzheimer's disease: clinical effects of lecithin treatment.in: Nutrition and the brain. vol. 5. Raven Press, New York1969: 389-390
- Clinical effects of choline in Alzheimer's disease.Lancet. 1978; 1: 508-509
- Choline chloride treatment of memory deficits in the elderly.Am J Psychiatry. 1979; 136: 1275-1277
- Effects of physostigmine and lecithin on memory in Alzheimer disease.Ann Neurol. 1979; 6: 219-221
- Human serial learning: enhancement with arecoline and choline impairment with scopolamine.Science. 1978; 201: 274-276
- Differential responsivity of mood, behavior, and cognition to cholinergic agents in elderly neuropsychiatric populations.Brain Res. 1988; 472: 371-389
- Oral tetrahydroaminoacridine in long-term treatment of senile dementia, Alzheimer type.N Engl J Med. 1986; 315: 1241-1245
- “Mini-mental state.” A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician.J Psychiatr Res. 1975; 12: 189-198
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 3rd edition (revised). American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC1987
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 4th edition. American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC1994
- Clinical diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease: report of the NINCDS-ADRDA Work Group under the auspices of Department of Health and Human Services Task Force on Alzheimer's Disease.Neurology. 1984; 34: 939-944
- A new rating scale for Alzheimer's disease.Am J Psychiatry. 1984; 141: 1356-1364
- Chronic donepezil treatment is associated with slowed cognitive decline in Alzheimer's disease.Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2001; 12: 295-300
- Open-label, multicenter, phase 3 extension study of the safety and efficacy of donepezil in patients with Alzheimer disease.Arch Neurol. 2001; 58: 427-433
- A 52-week study of the efficacy of rivastigmine in patients with mild to moderately severe Alzheimer's disease.Eur Neurol. 2000; 44: 236-241
- Long-term tacrine (Cognex) treatment: effects on nursing home placement and mortality. Tacrine Study Group.Neurology. 1996; 47: 166-177
- Hepatotoxic effects of tacrine administration in patients with Alzheimer's disease.JAMA. 1994; 271: 992-998
- Cholinesterase inhibitors in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease: a comparison of tolerability and pharmacology.Drug Saf. 1998; 19: 465-480
- Development of acetylcholinesterase inhibitors in the therapy of Alzheimer's disease.Neurology. 1998; 51: S30-S37
- Donepezil: an anticholinesterase inhibitor for Alzheimer's disease.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 1997; 54: 2805-2810
- Dose-dependent CSF acetylcholinesterase inhibition by SDZ ENA 713 in Alzheimer's disease.Acta Neurol Scand. 1998; 97: 244-250
- Pharmacologic and clinicopharmacologic properties of SDZ ENA 713, a centrally selective acetylcholinesterase inhibitor.Ann NY Acad Sci. 1991; 640: 272-275
- Preferential cerebrospinal fluid acetylcholinesterase inhibition by rivastigmine in humans.J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1999; 19: 513-521
- Clinical pharmacology of rivastigmine: a new-generation acetylcholinesterase inhibitor for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.Clin Ther. 1998; 20: 634-647
- Rivastigmine. A review of its use in Alzheimer's disease.Drugs Aging. 1998; 13: 391-411
- Brain selective inhibition of acetylcholinesterase: a novel approach to therapy for Alzheimer's disease.Prog Brain Res. 1993; 98: 431-438
- Measurement of quality-of-life changes in patients with Alzheimer's disease.Clin Ther. 1989; 11: 545-554
- Selective inhibition of human acetylcholinesterase by galanthamine in vitro and in vivo.Life Sci. 1990; 46: 1553-1558
- Allosteric sensitization of nicotinic receptors by galantamine, a new treatment strategy for Alzheimer's disease.Biol Psychiatry. 2001; 49: 279-288
- Galantamine is an allosterically potentiating ligand of the human alpha4/beta2 nAChR.Acta Neurol Scand. 2000; 176: 68-73
- The O-demethylation of the antidementia drug galanthamine is catalysed by cytochrome P450 2D6.Pharmacogenetics. 1999; 9: 661-668
- Development of a functional measure for persons with Alzheimer's disease: the disability assessment for dementia.Am J Occup Ther. 1999; 53: 471-481
- The Clinician Interview-Based Impression (CIBI): a clinician's global change rating scale in Alzheimer's disease.Neurology. 1994; 44: 2315-2321
- Oxygen radicals in the nervous system.Trends Neurosci. 1985; 8: 22-26
- Protective effect of alpha-tocopherol on ischemic neuronal damage in the gerbil hippocampus.Brain Res. 1990; 510: 335-338
- Involvement of free radicals in dementia of the Alzheimer type: a hypothesis.Neurobiol Aging. 1990; 11: 567-571
- Alpha-tocopherol, an effective inhibitor of platelet adhesion.Blood. 1989; 73: 141-149
- Vitamin E, a modifier of platelet function: rationale and use in cardiovascular and cerebrovascular disease.Nutr Rev. 1999; 57: 306-309
- Coagulopathy associated with vitamin E ingestion.JAMA. 1974; 230: 1300-1301
- Effect of vitamin E on prothrombin levels in warfarin-induced vitamin K deficiency.Am J Clin Nutr. 1981; 34: 1701-1705
- Ginkgo biloba extract protects brain neurons against oxidative stress induced by hydrogen peroxide.Brain Res. 1996; 712: 349-352
- Ginkgo biloba leaf extract: review of biological actions and clinical applications.Antioxid Redox Signal. 1999; 1: 469-480
- A placebo-controlled, double-blind, randomized trial of an extract of Ginkgo biloba for dementia. North American EGb Study Group.JAMA. 1997; 278: 1327-1332
- Development and validation of the geriatric evaluation by relatives rating instrument (GERRI).Psychol Rep. 1983; 53: 479-488
- The Lewy body variant of Alzheimer's disease: a clinical and pathologic entity.Neurology. 1990; 40: 1-8
- Senile dementia of Lewy body type. A clinically and neuropathologically distinct form of Lewy body dementia in the elderly.J Neurol Sci. 1990; 95: 119-139
- Neocortical cholinergic activities differentiate Lewy body dementia from classical Alzheimer's disease.Neuroreport. 1994; 5: 747-749
- Topography, extent, and clinical relevance of neurochemical deficits in dementia of Lewy body type, Parkinson's disease, and Alzheimer's disease.Ann NY Acad Sci. 1991; 640: 197-202
- Tacrine efficacy in Lewy body dementia.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 1998; 13: 516-519
- Efficacy of rivastigmine in dementia with Lewy bodies: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled international study.Lancet. 2000; 356: 2031-2036
- Donepezil for treatment of dementia with Lewy bodies: a case series of nine patients.Int Psychogeriatr. 1998; 10: 229-238
- The Neuropsychiatric Inventory: comprehensive assessment of psychopathology in dementia.Neurology. 1994; 44: 2308-2314
- Prevention of vascular dementia.Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord. 1999; 13: S131-S139
- Vascular dementia: a contemporary review of epidemiology, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1998; 46: 1437-1448
☆This work was supported by the Department of Veterans Affairs and NIA AG05136 and AG18644.
© 2002 Elsevier Science (USA). Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.